- Get your Roku running and associate it with an online Roku account.
- In your online account, sign up for the developer program, and then download the Roku SDK (Software Development Kit) and unzip RokuSDK.zip.
- Navigate to the Packaging Your Application section of the Roku SDK documentation, and then follow the instructions to set up a DevID and Password. These credentials are used when packaging your application before uploading to a channel.
- Unzip the RokuSDK/examples/zips/simplevideoplayer.zip example and edit the simplevideoplayer/source/appMain.brs file as follows:
- Comment out the following lines using an apostrophe (‘) character:’urls = [“https://video.ted.com/talks/podcast/CraigVenter_2008_480.mp4”] ‘qualities = [“HD”] ‘StreamFormat = “mp4” ‘title = “Craig Venter Synthetic Life” ‘srt = “file://pkg:/source/craigventer.srt”
- Uncomment and modify the following lines so that the urls line matches the one below:’ a test stream from Wowza urls = [“https://11234566777778.streamlock.net:1937/8XXX/mp4:video.mp4/playlist.m3u8”] qualities = [“SD”] streamformat = “hls” title = “my video file” srt = “”Note: To play your own content, change the urls value to the playlist URL of your content.
- Select all files in the simplevideoplayer folder and compress these files (not the folder itself) into a zip file to upload to the Roku box.
- Follow the Run the package Utility instructions in the Packaging Your Application section of the Roku SDK documentation to upload your package zip file and register your application to the Roku player. After successfully uploading the application to the Roku box, the application will show up as a channel.
After completing these steps, a prompt to run your application appears on your Roku box. After the application is running, you can refer to the Roku SDK documentation for information on how to set up a private channel and make it accessible to users to subscribe to it.
For more information, I suggest you contact the RTMP server, which has years of experience running Stream to Roku using RTMP Server for streaming.